- Sodium – Salt is a primary source of sodium, which is an essential nutrient that helps regulate blood volume and blood pressure.
- Electrolyte balance – Salt helps maintain the balance of electrolytes in the body, which is crucial for proper nerve and muscle function.
- Hydration – Salt aids in water retention, which can help prevent dehydration.
- Digestion – Salt stimulates the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach, which aids in digestion.
- Nutrient absorption – Salt facilitates the absorption of nutrients in the small intestine.
- Hormone regulation – Salt plays a role in regulating hormones such as aldosterone and vasopressin, which are important for maintaining fluid balance in the body.
- Carbohydrate metabolism – Salt is involved in carbohydrate metabolism and helps to provide energy to the body.